We Must know that God keeps us — but from what?
- Jude 1:24 teaches “… to keep you from falling …to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy.
- Psalms tells us:: “The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night.”
- “The Lord will keep you from all evil.”
- “he will keep your life.”
- “The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore.” Psalm 121:6-8
“Our God … holds our soul in life, and suffers not our feet to be moved.” Psalm 66:9
called on the God of Israel, Oh that thou would bless me indeed, and enlarge my coast, and that thine hand might be with me, and that thou would keep me from evil, that it may not grieve me! And God granted him that which he requested.” 1 Chronicles 4:1
Then in 2 Kings 6:15-17, “behold, a host with horses and chariots was round about the city. And his servant said unto him: ‘Alas, my master! how shall we do?’
‘Fear not: for they that are with us are more than they that are with them.’ And Elisha prayed, and said: ‘Lord, I pray Thee, open his eyes, that he may see.’ And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw; and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.
“The continued exercise of divine grace toward a Christian is the one and only basis upon which he may hope to endure. for, as certainly as grace is the one and only basis upon which God can save a merit-less sinner, so, certainly grace alone is the basis upon which God can righteously keep him saved.” from “Grace, the Glorious Theme” Louis Sperry Chafer founder Dallas Theological Seminary.
God keeps: “He has anticipated and provided for every emergency that could arise.”
God’s provisions include:
- His power: “… Yeh, he shall be held up, for God is able to make him stand.” Romans 14:4
- His Love: ” for if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his son, much more,being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.”Romans 5:11
- Jesus’ prayer:” I pray not that thou should take them out of the world, but that thou should keep them from the evil..” John 17:12
- Christ’s substitutionary death: ” who is he that condemns? ” “It is Christ that died.” Roman 8:33.
- His resurrection: ” I give unto them eternal life, and they shall never perish.” John 3:36
- His advocacy:: ” if any man sin, we have an advocate with the father, Jesus Christ the righteous.” 1 John 2:1
- His intercession: “… Able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.”Hebrews 7:25
- Regeneration: “…heirs of God, and joint heirs with Christ.” Peter 1:23
- Spirit indwelling: ” sealed with the Holy Spirit until the day of redemption” Ephesians 4:30
- In Christ: ” but of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us righteousness, wisdom, sanctification, and redemption. 1 Corinthians 1:30
Most taken from Chafer.
“ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:” Romans 8:15-16
Our experiences can lie to us, but the inward witness, based in His Word, guides us into all truth. In certain times, when our heart is overwhelmed, we may doubt our safety. Nevertheless, His Word continues true. “If we believe not, yet He abides Faithful. He cannot deny Himself.” 2 Timothy 2:13 When our emotions usurp authority in our soul, “…if Our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart and knoweth all things. “1 John 3:20